Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:43:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Goeringer <mikegoe@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Still can't ftp as a normal user after upgrade

As time goes on I keep getting closer and closer to turning windows on only for games :)  One of two continous problems I am having is being unable to ftp into my -stable machine following a cvsup after the initial WalnutCreek CD load.  I can't even get as far as as the password.  As a back door temp fix, I went in and now allow root to have remote ftp privs..but I would prefer this be a very temporary fix....I can telnet just fine...but not ftp.  I've checked rc.conf, hosts, and group..and all appears to be in order...anywhere else I can look?

I also have been unable to make my -stable box a gateway...following may FAQ's and list help....maybye these are related problems?

Once  I've solved these two issues I can stop rebooting into windows to run my proxy server for my other machines.

I would hate to do a fresh install....time wise...

Thanks for any help.

Michael G.