Date:      Sun, 01 Dec 2002 02:34:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List of big names ...

"Paul A. Scott" wrote:
> > From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
> <snip>
> > IBM bought Whistle Communications for it's product based on
> > FreeBSD; can you name a company that IBM bought that had a
> > product based on Linux?
>
> Unfortunately, IBM seems to have closed the door on Whistle.

Whistle was a time-to-market acquisition.  They bought it, instead
of an distributing an internal Almaden project that used Linux,
which could not be distributed with Linux because of the GPL
(doing so would have granted source code usage under the GPL,
which then grants, in perpetuity, the rights to use of IBM
software patents -- we had to rip SQUID out of the InterJet II
before it was first released, because of IBM patents).

> And, IBM is pushing Linux on their Z-series mainframes.

Not actually.  They are pushing Z-series mainframes to Linux
propeller-heads, which is very different, even though on the
surface, it appears to be the same thing to someone who isn't
looking very deep.

-- Terry