Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:40:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting the default MAX Stack size

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Jim Pirzyk wrote:

> So I have a need to increase the max stack size in the kernel.  There
> currently is no knob to do this.  I though of implementing it like
> the max data size knob (MAXDSIZ).  Is this the best answer or should
> it maybe be done via read only sysctl (and then can be set in the
> /boot/loader.conf)?  I know how to do the former, but I am not sure
> about the latter.

This (set MAXSSIZ in the same way as MAXDSIZ) is the best answer.  There
is no point in making it more tunable than MAXDSIZ.

Notes:
- MAXSSIZ used to be an option, just like MAXDSIZ.  There are ifdefs for
  both in <machine/vmparam.h>.  This was broken by not putting MAXSSIZ in
  sys/conf/options.
- the stack size should normally be limited using login.conf or the
  stack size rlimit.  These don't apply here because MAXSSIZ gives
  the maximum that can be set using these.

Bruce