Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:53:33 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One more ccdconfig question

Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
>
> > In truth it is _very_ hard to work out the 'best' interleave factor for
> > CCD...
> ***
>
> Ok, this is very nice answer, too ;)

Thanks <g> ;-)

> Very informative, but I know all this, so it can't help.  I think this
> needs very good knowledge about disks and controllers and some
> programming experience in this area, huh. Unfortunately I don't have
> any.

Nope, I think at the end of the day - because of all the variables involved
you need _LUCK_ and lots of it :-)

You could spend _ages_ working this out with different loads, different
files sizes, different read to write ratios etc. - but still not arrive at
the 'mathematically' correct solution :-(

> Btw, what program or method you suggest for benchmarking ? I mean
> something which simulates _real_ workload and puts hard stress for disk
> subsystem. All this must be measurable and comparable, certainly.

Hmmm... I've used everything from make-worlds to writing out huge tar's up
into the gigs region, not very scientific - and at the end of the day the
figures only made me 'feel' happy, I'm sure they wouldn't stand up in
court... <g>

> Thanks

No problem... If I were you, I'd 'pick & play' - i.e. just go for a
number... Try 4096, it's a nice number...

Sorry I can't be more 'scientific', but I've found theres just too many
different things involved... :-)

Regards,

Karl