Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:26:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        Nicole <nicole@unixgirl.com>, ppX <c4@worldclass.jolt.nu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem with fxp0 card and slowing/dying transmits - now I'm really confused

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, David Greenman wrote:

>    I don't know about the affects of 2 pair vs 4 pair, but one
> cable related thing I do know will have an affect is stranded vs
> solid core wire. I've always had problems using solid core wire
> for any significant length (more than 6 feet) with the Pro/100.
> Stranded wire on the other hand has never given me a problem even
> for runs of >100 feet.

It really shouldn't matter wether the wire has a solid or stranded
core, but wether it _at_least_ meats the Category 5 standards when
doing 100BaseTX, or _at_least_ Category 3 when doing only 10BaseT.
Those standards include not just the wire, but the entire link,
including its terminations and any intermediary connections.  We're
using nearly a thousand of the Intel NICs with both short and very
long runs (up to the max 100 meters or even a bit beyond), and any
wiring between the patch panel and the wall outlet is always solid.
All of the patch cables (between computer and wall outlet or between
patch panel and hub/switch) are always stranded.  We've never had a
link problem in these situations, so long as the whole link met the
specifications.

The problem that you probably incurred by using solid-core wire as a
patch cable is that you need to install solid-core terminators on the
end of the cable.  Stranded-core terminators often will NOT work with
solid-core cable because of the wire penetrator design (the gold
pins).  Many times the solid cable will cause the penetrator to
deflect away from the cable, causing either no connection, or an
intermittent connection.  Take a very close look at the penetrator
design in the terminators you use.  If they are perfectly straight and
want to go straight down into the center of the core, they'll only
work with stranded cable.  If they attempt to "straddle" both sides
the core, they should work well with solid cable and most likely
stranded as well.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org