Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:28:31 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@idoru.mine.nu>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for comments on a sentence in the solid-state article

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:00:36PM +0000, Christian Brueffer said:
> Hi,
>
> I found the following sentence in the solid-state article, section 6.3:
>
> You should always remount those filesystems read-only when you are
> done with any maintenance - it is dangerous to leave them in
> read-write mode lest a process begin logging or otherwise writing
> regularly to the flash media and wearing it out over time.
>
> The part after the '-' is very unclear and should be fixed. I've thought
> about it some time, but couldn't find something better.

Perhaps:
	You should always remount those filesystems read-only when you are
	done with any maintenance - unnecessary writes to the flash media
	could considerably shorten it's lifespan.

People reading this article are presumably familiar with this "feature" of
flash cards, so perhaps we can afford to brief here.

Ceri