Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:28:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul DuBois <dubois@primate.wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1 on Dell OptiPlex 180

uOn Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Paul DuBois wrote:

> I have a Dell OptiPlex Pentium Pro 180, and and trying to install
> FreeBSD 2.1 on it.  My question is this: the machine has an EIDE CD-ROM,
> but when I boot from floppy, the install process says it doesn't find a
> CD-ROM when it gets to the part about selecting an install medium.

This isn't uncommon.

Since you're installing 2.1.0, did you use 'atapi.flp' or 'atapiflp.bat'
for the boot floppy image?

Secondly, try moving the CDROM between the primary and secondary IDE
controller(s)?

> I notice the manual states that the IDE CD-ROM support should be considered
> alpha quality.  Should I simply consider what I'm seeing as a manifestation
> of that, or has anyone gotten the CD to be seen on one of these machines?
> If so, did you do anything special to achieve this?

It probably is.  The alpha-ness is primarily in the detection code --
there are some situations where it won't find the CD, and others will.

> I've gotten around the problem by copying stuff off the CD-ROM in
> Windows to a DOS partition and installing that way, but I'm wondering
> if there's a way to get the install process to see my CD-ROM.  Is
> the IDE support better in 2.1.5?

Not remarkably, unfortunately.  Once you get FreeBSD to recognize the CD,
then you won't have any problems.