Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 15:54:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        splyaski@cmp.com (Plyaskin Sergey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: path question

> Hi folks,
>
> I am running FreeBSD 2.1 July SNAP.
> As is, I have to use the absolute path in order to run my applications, for
> example:
> ./usr/local/bin/httpd

This is not an absolute path, this is a relative path.

Send your .cshrc/.login and your passwd entry. Does this happen under
'root'?
Something must be hosed on your side.

> Without that dot, it does not run even though I have /usr/local/bin in my
> path.  If I add dot to my path, it works but I get the error message on
> login: Exported path has relative components.  I also realize that including
> dot in the path can be considered as a security hole.

Normally the 'root' user should not have . in his path. There should appear any
dots at all in your path statement besides a sole . for the normal user.