Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 18:12:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        dustinl@interchange.ubc.ca (Dustin Lang)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ramblings from a Newbie...

As I recall, Dustin Lang wrote:
> I have just one question, but it's not specific to FreeBSD or even
> BSD.  Why on earth do people use vi?  I'm not trying to start a flame
> war or anything, but it's just so unfriendly.  Doing the install was
> simple and very friendly up until I did a 'chsh' and got vi!  My
> editor of choice is pico, the editor that looks like pine and has
> instructions on the bottom.  Sure, it's simple and doesn't have all
> the advanced features you might want in an editor, but for doing a
> 'chsh', it's sufficient!  Of course, that's just me...

Well, it's all those "advanced features" that make folks use vi.
Like, I word-wrapped your above paragraph, preserving the '> ' along
the left edge by typing "!}fill -d".

I find the thing most repugnant about windoz is the stupid editor
that is embedded in every application.  An editor where you have to
remove your hands from the keyboard to reposition the cursor is just
plain broken.

The two widely used UNIX editors, vi and emacs, reward a little
practice with great productivity.  Not unlike UNIX itself...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net