Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 16:38:06 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DigitalUnix4.0 and recent SRM on PC164LX

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 13:01:26 -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 11:44:43AM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > It is UFS format, with a 512k block size.  Most CDROM readers cannot
> > handle this.
>
> Are you sure about the 512K block size?
>
> The real problem is our SCSI cd driver insits on play disklable magic.
> Note that any DEC (Ultrix or OSF/1) cdrom is readable using the atapi
> driver (ie, IDE CDROM drive).  This is because SOS refuses to deal with
> faked out disklabels etc.

It's easy enough to disable that if you want.

In any case, that's on my list of things to work on, primarily to get
writeable DVD-RAM support.

It works well enough when you just enable writing in the driver, but the
problem is getting things to function correctly for both CDs with
disklabels and UFS on them, and iso9660 CDs which need the faked disklabel.

Probably the thing to do is attempt to read a disklabel, and if there isn't
one, use the fake disklabel.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry