Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:55:37 -0800
From:      Jason Helfman <jhelfman@e-e.com>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Cc:        Neil Long <neil@cymru.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update housekeeping?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 03:25:47AM +1100, andrew clarke thus spake:
>On Fri 2011-02-25 17:26:52 UTC+0000, Neil Long (neil@cymru.com) wrote:
>
>> Just noticed how large /var/db/freebsd-update has grown on a box I
>> just upgraded from 7.3 to 7.4 (but I can't recall when I started
>> using it).
>>
>> Is there a recommended approach or just rm the directory if I have
>> no need to roll it back?
>
>Before I upgraded to 7.4-REL I used rm -rf /var/db/freebsd-update/ as
>my /var is "only" 1 GB and was running low on free space.  Doing this
>should be no different to a fresh install where this directory is
>initially empty anyway.
>
>Of course if you're still wary you could make a tarball backup of that
>directory somewhere else before emptying it out.
>
>IIRC, freebsd-update will complain if /var/db/freebsd-update/ doesn't
>exist, so you may need to mkdir it after using rm -rf.
>
>Regards
>Andrew

If there were no problems with your update, then it is safe to remove the
directory, and recreate it. If your update didn't go so well, you will lose
the ability to use the 'rollback' feature, which will uninstall previously
applied update.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman