Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:39:56 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Albert Chen <chen6178@hotmail.com>
Cc:        culverk@wam.umd.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Can't detect my Matsushita/Panasonic IDE CDROM.

Albert Chen wrote:

> Mark said:

> can't
> >> detect
> bio"
> >> in
> >> advance.

> >> your

> acd0
> place
> there

> >> isa?
> >> >

> >> Hi, Mark & Kenneth,
> >>
> >> The following lines in my kernel config file,
> >>
> >> options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> >> options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
> >> device          matcd0          #IDE CD-ROM
> >> controller      matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 bio
> >>
> >> But FreeBSD can't still detect CDROM :-(
> >> I run dmesg, and the result is below:
> >>
> >> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> >> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DTTA-350840>
> >> wd0: 8063MB (16514064 sectors), 16383 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> >> wdc1 not found at 0x170
> >> matcd0 not found ad 0x230
> >>
> >> Would you like to tell me how to sovle it, thanks.
> >
> >OK, firstly, is your CD-ROM an IDE device _or_ a Matsushita/Panasonic
> >proprietry device? The controller matcd0 is only for CD-ROM's with the
> >proprietry Mat/Pan interface (as used on SB cards) not for IDE devices
> >_made_ by Mat/Pan.
> >
> >If it is IDE then you don't need ``matcd0'' in your config file. Also,
> >there is no such thing as ``device matcd0'' only ``controller matcd0''
>
> Hi, Mark,
>
> My CDROM is an IDE device, not proprietry device, and CDROM type is
> CR-583. I follow your instructions to delete "controller matcd0" in
> kernel config file, then compile kernel, reboot. FreeBSD CAN detect
> it, but I reboot it again, FreeBSD CAN'T detect CDROM, and I try
> many times, still fails :(

Wierd :-/. I really need to see the output from dmesg, preferably both
when the CD is detected and when it isn't.

> Is it FreeBSD problem or my CDROM problem, I really don't know.

Hmm, not 100% sure, but if FreeBSD detects it once then it should do it
again, the kernel doesn't change, unless you are using boot time config
(boot -c) and that is introducing a
conflict. Again I really need to see the output from dmesg.

> P.S. I set my CDROM is secondary primary.

Good, I've heard of problems with a CD as a slave but without a master
on the same channel.

OK, since you've confirmed that it is an IDE device then it should work
with the GENERIC kernel. Try booting with that using ``kernel.GENERIC''
(you should have a file ``kernel.GENERIC'' in the root dir) at the boot
prompt.

Let me know how you get on, and include your dmesg output.

HTH

> Regards,
> Albert.

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

           My homepage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
Mark Ovens, CNC Apps Engineer,   |    mailto:marko@uk.radan.com
Radan Computational Ltd          |         http://www.radan.com
Bath, England. CAD/CAM solutions | FreeBSD - The Power To Serve
for the Sheetmetal Work industry.|       http://www.freebsd.org