Date:      Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:58:57 -0400
From:      "Bill Schmitt (SW)" <software@schmittnet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help setting up an IMAP Server on a local network

I would like to set up an IMAP server on a FreeBSD box for my home
network. I don't have a lot of depth in this area, so could really use
some help or pointers to "how to" pages. Searching the web and reading
the documentation has left a couple of gaps that I would appreciate
someone filling in. Most of what I've found seems to concentrate on
running internet connected servers with "real" domain names on them, and
this would sit in the local network with a separate router/firewall
connecting the local network to a cable connection. The FreeBSD box is
not normally visible to the outside world.

For my primary mail, I have POP and SMTP services running at the hosting
company for my domain. The access that I have to that machine is
restricted to pop, ftp, etc. I do not have telnet access. It appears
that I would use something like fetchmail to get the mail from that
server (if someone thinks there is a better tool, I'm not committed to
it). Several of the mailboxes I have are used by people outside the home
network, so I would leave those alone and only process a select list. I
intend to try openxchange locally, if that impacts anything. I'd like to
be able to retrieve mail occasionally from some other servers, like my
ISP, though I don't use that often, so it isn't as important.

SMTP is where I start to bog down. I would like to have mail sent out
from this central point, as well, but don't know where to start. If I
have to configure the various email clients to send directly I will, but
that seems like a partial solution.

I also use the FreeBSD box as a sandbox for trying things that will be
put on a web connected server. That box has postfix and courier-IMAP
installed, so if I could use those applications in the mix, I would like
to, but that is not a firm requirement if someone has a good reason that
I shouldn't. I did replace sendmail with postfix on the box a while ago,
but haven't used it for anything.

Any suggestions, recommendations, pointers, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

Bill