Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 22:43:14 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: major timer/APIC code changes.

Hi,

I have done major hacking to the APIC code in the areas of the 8254 timer
and RTC timer.  Some of these involve the EISA changes discussed earlier.
Others are an attempt to bury the SMP_TIMER_NC code.

The latest code will fail to build with "options SMP_TIMER_NC" set
in your config file, remove & reconfig to build a new kernel.

Its working well on my dual P6 which needs the timer redirect code, but
paniced my dual P5 which doesn't.  The panic was in modload, removing the
"star" screensaver from sysconfig allowed it to boot, so I am assumming its
unrelated.  I am in the middle of a cvsup of the world for that machine
and will report after a make world.

Please send me reports for ANY new kernel builds, working or not.  I need
to know ASAP whether I've broken anything.  This is one of those changes
that may behave differently on various hardware.

The affected code is identifiable by sys/i386/include/smptests.h:

 *      $Id: smptests.h,v 1.13 1997/07/19 03:56:30 fsmp Exp $

--
Steve Passe	| powered by