Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:27:31 -0400
From:      "Cameron, Frank" <cameron@ctc.com>
To:        "'Jon Yamashita'" <jon@wurldlink.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: rc.conf

Hi John,

He did a cvsup, make buildworld, make installworld, kernel build,
mergemaster.  During the mergemaster he wasn't sure what to do;
after whatever happened then, rc.conf was apparently not processed
(no hostname or network configuration set).  Then he brought it in
to work and I re-built the kernel and ran mergemaster again.
After that, hostname and interface configuration was working; but,
the firewall and some other settings weren't coming up until he
modified defaults/rc.conf.  Last week he called me about ssh and
had already modified defaults; I advised him to try using rc.local
as a stop-gap.

-frank