Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 03:14:13 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <bugsgrief@bugsgrief.net>
To:        "Rickard Dahlstrand" <rd@tilde.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cutting the power without unmounting the filesystem

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:40:53 +0100
"Rickard Dahlstrand" <rd@tilde.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a computer that will have it's power removed quite often. In other word It will not unmount the file system. What kind of implications does this have in the long term?
>
> I have discovered that the start-up takes much longer because of having to clean the file system. Is there a way to prevent this and what harm can cutting the power have on the system?
>
> I know of some installations that use read-only mounting. Is it possible to mount / RO and /etc and /var RW? Will that speed up the boot process?
>
> Best Regards, Rickard.

If you have / readonly, you cannot make /etc RW since they cannot be separate
partitions. (As an exercise, consider a problem how to mount /etc when
/etc/fstab isn't mounted.)

However, having /var partition separate is quite common and I think is
a recommended practice. And, of course, it must be a read/write partition.

Now, a dumb question... Are you terminating your machine with halt or shutdown
command ? Does your machine cleanly stop ?

horio shoichi