Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:57:33 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latex and latex2e

On Friday 18 July 2003 05:11 am, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> I'm pretty certain teTeX uses some version of LaTeX2e -- it's been
> the 'standard' LaTeX for many years now.  Probably you can just run
> 'latex' and it'll tell you what version it is.

Well, LaTeX2e is just a set of TeX macros. Running "latex --version",
I got the following output.

TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.4.5
Copyright (C) 1997-2003 D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the TeX copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the TeX source.
Primary author of TeX: D.E. Knuth.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

> teTeX includes pretty much everything you're likely to need for
> TeX/LaTeX work.  The only things I ever added were the LyX editor
> and a few fonts. LyX is a truly excellent program -- I used it to
> write my PhD dissertation, and laughed at the other people
> struggling to do theirs in Word :-)

Scott's right. Once you've installed teTeX all you need are some
fonts, maybe a class package or two. LyX really works well; by itself
it's enough to do just about everything you need. I use it to write
letters and to work on my novel, and convinced my girlfriend to use
it instead of AbiWord.

I would recommend either tth or latex2html if you need to convert TeX
to HTML. tth renders your TeX file as a single HTML page, and
latex2html breaks it up into nodes by chapter and section.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net