Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2006 06:52:32 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-15?Q?J=FCrgen?= Dankoweit <Juergen.Dankoweit@T-Online.de>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent: Can't type in gdm after system upgrade

Good morning,

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 20:11:15 -0800 (PST)
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:

>=20
> And im happy that i can use my computer again! But i am still worried
> about the solution. Whats wrong that caused this in the first place?

Let me speculate - I must speculate because I didn't have the time to
look deeper in the system: the ttys aren't completely initialized but
but it is "told" to every other startup script which waits on ttys that
it everything is initialized.

> Is
> this a kluge that will get messed up hte next time i change anything?
> The instructions say to use gdm_enable to start gdm and i dont want
> to be doing anything wrong.

No there is no wrong thing. Let me say: under UNIX we have the great
chance to find for one problem many solutions which all work.=20
I hope the new and the old rc-system will coexist a long time.

I my eyes the new rc-system has a great disadvantage: If you want to
test a new daemon-process you either have to restart the operating
system or you have to set all variables on the command line and then you
can test the daemon.=20

Regards

J=FCrgen