Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2013 09:57:47 -0800
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ignorance and  pth etc

Hi

I seem to be getting problems with some error messages which appear to
indicate pth failures.

The system is
8.2-RELEASE GENERIC amd64 on Intel quad core.

I do not understand how pth threads are managed.
1. From ports I have installed
fpc-pthreads-2.6.0
libpthread-stubs-0.3_3
pth-2.0.7
2. I am totally ignorant of what is installed by the kernel or of how to
check whether there are any conflicts in the system or the ports.
3. I want to install Jabber which seems to require pth-hard
4. The greatest concerns seem to be around Xorg with kde4 installed
5. Fundamentally I am concerned that something about thread management
on this system is fouled up. For example kde4, following a recent
upgrade,has taken to not loading.
Would someone be willing to enlighten me a little?
6. To show the my concerns are not without some foundation among the
multiple error messages given when kde4 fails to load  there is the
snippet shown below.

Many thanks for any advice

kded(2157)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kded(2157)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kded(2157)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment 0x8097a1000
kbuildsycoca4 running...
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
kglobalaccel(2164)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kglobalaccel(2164)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kglobalaccel(2164)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment 0x8097b2000
kcminit(2166)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(
kcminit(2166)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
kcminit(2166)/KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment 0x8098ec000

--
David Southwell ARPS AFIAP
Photographic Arts