Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 08:15:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Erik A. Pearson" <epearson@olac.berkeley.edu>
To:        Neal Westfall <nwestfal@orion.csci.csusb.edu>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0 & mitsumi lu002

On Tue, 9 May 1995, Neal Westfall wrote:

> > > I didn't realize from your message that this was an EIDE CDROM drive.
> >
> > Oops, sorry if I gave the wrong impression, it is the lu002 with an 8-bit
> > dedicated interface card, w/ jumpers for i/o address, irq, and DMA
> > channel. The unit was sold as a BMR 6800 (or something like that).

Actually, I should have said "BSR 6800MX".

> Unfortunately I think it is the old interface card that is the problem.
> I have a Pinnacle Micro single speed cdrom which uses the same 8 bit
> interface as yours. (no upper interrupts, dma on 1 or 3).  I've never
> gotten it to work quite right with FreeBSD.  It constantly spews
> forth read errors, timeout errors, and everything else.  Not to mention
> it is extremely slow compared to using it under dos.  And now I just
> discovered a couple of days ago that Win95 doesn't much like it either.
> Neither does Linux.  So I'm looking to get a new one soon, probably
> SCSI.  BTW, it is identified by the probe as LU002.

Thanks for another voice, Neal. The latest boot disk for the mitsumi
drive does not work. It seems to be improved, if increased disk activity
is an improvement, but there are still plenty of timeouts -- to many for
the install to handle. The drive is now identified as an lu002. Oh well
-- now the question of the day is: what is the cheapest cd-rom I can get
(that works w/FreeBSD), either a newer Mitsumi or a SCSI (if I can get
the Future Domain TMC830 recogized by FreeBSD!)??

Thanks again,

Erik.