Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:43:11 -0600
From:      Dan Rue <drue@therub.org>
To:        Ron Joordens <ron.joordens@indec.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /root file system full

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:51:56AM +1100, Ron Joordens wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.9  and have thoroughly enjoyed my first
> foray into the BSD world. Indeed my first foray into any non-windows OS. So
> far I have encountered quite a few problems but have always managed to find
> an answer in the handbook or by searching through the extensive resources
> available on the net. Great documentaion! This is the first time I have
> needed to ask a question.
>
> My / filesystem is full. 109%. I want to know what is on the / filesystem,
> what I can get rid of, how to get rid of it and how to make sure that it
> doesn't happen again.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> For background information:
>
> The / filesystem is the suggested default of 128mb. The handbook says that
> root is generally about 40mb of data and that 100mb should be enough to
> allow for future expansion needs, so 128mb should be adequate.
>
> During installation I installed everything, sources, ports, documentation,
> etc.
>
> I have CVSuped source to RELENG_4_9.
>
> I have CVSuped ports.
>
> I have recompiled the kernel 3 or 4 times.
>
> I have redirected the /tmp directory to /usr/tmp  (these locations are from
> memory but you get the idea)
>
> I got a bit carried away installing ports during installation (a kid in a
> candy store?) and currently have about 206 installed.
>
> I have been updating ports recently using portupgrade with the recursive
> switches -rR.
>
> At the time the first filesystem full error message was seen I was
> portupgrading arts -Rr which was upgrading a lot of other ports as well.
> That process stopped with an error message stating that a conflict between
> xfmail and qt existed and that qt could not be upgraded untill xfmail was
> deinstalled so there may be a lot of working data still on the system. Would
> that be on root?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Ron Joordens
> Melbourne, Australia
Good Evening ;)

128MB is enough for / if you also set up all of the other partitions
correctly.  If you showed us a df -h we could more easily see your
layout.

That said, if this is a hobby system as it sounds like, you may be able
to get by with fewer partitions.  Personally, on desktop systems, I like
to put /usr/home on it's own partition and I just throw everythign else
on /.  It all depends on what you're using the system for, really.

That way, I can totally nuke everything, do a full reinstall from
scratch, and still have my user environment how I like it without having
to goof around with restoring from backups.

Regardless of what you decide to do - a reinstall may be in order
(sorry).  But, chalk it up to experience.  You'll have a much cleaner
system the second time around :)

hth,
dan