Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:25:06 -0600
From:      "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>
To:        'Mike Meyer' <mwm@mired.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'mertis@ameritech.net'" <mertis@ameritech.net>
Subject:   RE: Filesystem

Thanks for your help.
The System is going to be DSL Router/Gateway. It's 486 machine. But also I
need to place sources in order to compile kernel.

Zaitsau, Andrei <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com> types:
> Hello everyone,
> I have RTFM question :)
> But anyway,
> I have 2.1Gb Hard Drive.
> Can someone advise me how much would be the perfect sizes
> for filesystems:
> /
> /usr
> /tmp
> /var
> /mnt
>
> If I want to use the whole disk, is that all file system I need(or I do
not
> need)?

You forgot swap, but that's not a file system.

To get "perfect", we need to know what you're going to do with the
system, and what the system configuration is.

For a workstation, I'd go with 2 * memory for swap (assuming you've
got enough memory for Win98 to run reasonably), make / ~1GB, then give
the rest to /home. / can vary between 500MB and the entire disk (with
/home on another disk) for common uses of the system.

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/