Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:29:41 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        jim@nasby.net
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI write caching (was: Re: Performance tuning and adding RAM)

Jim C. Nasby <jim@nasby.net> types:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 12:19:33AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > If you are using SCSI disks, you can use the camcontrol modepage
> > command to check and disable it. It's the WCE value on page 8; use
> > "camcontrol modepage daX -m 8 -e" to start an editor, change the 1 to
> > a 0, and then exit.
> Is this also necessary with SCSI drives? I was under the impression that they
> weren't susceptible to this problem...

Thank you for catching this. It used to be necessary for SCSI drives,
but that's no longer universally true. SCSI supports a feature called
tagged queuing, which means that the system can reliably determine
when blocks have been written to disk even if write caching is
enabled. If the driver you are using supports tagged queueing, you can
enable the write cache on the drives attached to it. I believe all
currently supported drivers support tagged queuing if the controller
does. The manual page for the driver should say whether or not it
supports tagged queueing.

To answer the obvious followup, IDE drives that do tagged queuing are
starting to appear, and the ata driver supports them. See the tuning
and ata man pages for more information.

	<mike