Date:      Fri, 21 May 2004 13:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.4 port ??

--- Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net> wrote:

> > Hi, thanks for raising this discussion, From my testing, I think there
> > are no technical reasons, that it can not be committed within 24 hours.
>
> I do think that having one X11 server(+libraries) in ports instead of two
> (which on top of all else share lots of code and will make it supereasy for
> users to get messy, mixed installations) is a good thing - and that one
> package should be X.org - for technical reasons.
>

>From what I've seen X.org is not ready yet, and historically FreeBSD has used
XFree86 as the default Xserver. XFree86 4.4 has been tested already by NetBSD
and several Linux distributions.

The update to XFree86 seems rather painless, changing to X.org will break many
ports, in particular those that don't use correctly $(X11BASE).*

For now, I think it would be better to keep with XFree86 until we figure out
the issues related with having several X servers on the tree.

cheers,

    Pedro.

* Feel free to "fix" cad/Varkon, for example ;-).