Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 16:22:20 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <dev-null@NUXI.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall non-USB mouse dialog confusing

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:22:00PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Since I think the pendulum has swung over towards USB mice being the
> majority, I think a better flow for this would be something like:

I don't argue that the double negative is confusing.

    revision 1.314
    date: 2001-12-10 22:12:23;  author: jhb;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -1
    user has a USB mouse, we don't need to do anything.  Hence the wording
    "Do you have a non-USB mouse installed?" for the question.  The question
    can be reworded as "Do you have a PS/2 or Serial mouse installed?" instead
    if that is preferred.

We should reword the question as above.

I don't think you can claim any pendulum shifting yet.  Looking around my
home office and a large 200 person area at work; USB mice are still an
order of magnitude less prevalent (except with laptops).  I don't think
you can use such an argument for swaying things that way.

> Enable USB support for mice, and other USB devices? [Yes] No
> Enable support for a PS/2 (non-USB) mouse? Yes [No]

The defaults should be "No" for both.  The pre-USB mouse default of "no"
was most likely with servers in mind.  I don't see any more servers
having USB mice than had PS/2 mice.