Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:30:54 -0500
From:      "Ben O." <ben@cahostnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Kernel config - which way?

OK, I upgraded my OS couple of days ago.  At that time I was using the
GENERIC kernel.  When I upgraded I used the method:

# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
    # make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Then I installed a new kernel using the
/usr/sbin/config -g mykernel
make depend
make
make install

Was this correct? Do I now need to use the first method again or I'm OK.

Lastly, why can't I run startx as a user?  I'm running XFree86-4.0.3 and
KDE2.  When I run xdm or kdm I don't get my KDE desktop, I get some bogus
window.  Why, what do I need to configure to get my KDE desktop or any other
windows manager.

Thanks in advance.

Ben