Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:11:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Derrick MacPherson <derrick@mercuryfilmworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AltQ/dummynet & IP accounting..

> 1) I look after the Unix (Irix) boxes at a education
> facility that has about 400 machines running on 5 class C's, and a 10 meg
> connection to the net. There traffic has jumped from about 200 gigs a
> month to about 900 gigs a month, and I told them they should get a traffic
> shaping tool. The Cisco product to this costs about 15 000$, or so I am
> told, that has yet to be confirmed, so it seems like running all the
> traffic through a box is the way to go. My unix background is mainly Irix,

for that, probably a picobsd-based bridge does the  job
fairly well. there is a floppy image at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet/ which also has Weighted Fair Queueing enabled.

> 2) Where I work:
> we have a wireless 4.5 meg connection to the net, the boss wants to know
> how much surfing/streaming audio/napster traffic we are doing, and from
> which machines. He may want to traffic shape, that is why I mentioned both
> on the same box. There is 80 users, on 3 class c's, and we are also
> providing network access for a couple other small (less than 5 machines)
> clients in the building, and need to monitor their traffic ona  monthly
> basis, to bill back at X per gig. (We will control their bandwidth via the
> router)

same as above plus ntop for monitoring (for this you will need
a full install as ntop does not fit on a floppy image).

	cheers
	luigi