Date:      01 Jun 2003 22:55:25 -0800
From:      Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DNS error or idiot on parade

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 21:59, Konrad Neitzel wrote:
> Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> wrote:
> > I am trying to setup a nameserver for a domain and I have been
> > reading the DNS/Bind book from O'Reilly and I somehow got the
> > private IP showing up when I try and ping from a remote site.
> > Whenever I type in ping www.example.com, it tries to ping
> > 192.168.1.20 instead of the external IP. I don't have this IP
> > in my named.conf or example.com db file anywhere...anymore :).
> > I have reloaded my named daemon and it reports no errors in
> > the message log. How can I fix this so that it resolves to the
> > correct IP?
>
> You could check your DNS Server with "host" e.g.:
> host www.example.com 127.0.0.1
>
> That would query the nameserver on 127.0.0.1 (localhost) for the name
> www.example.com.
>
> If this reports the right IP:
> Have you checked your /etc/hosts? Maybe you set your system to check
> that first and you got the name there?
>
> Just some thoughts from my side ...
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Konrad Neitzel
>
> --
> SoftMediaTec GmbH
> Tel: 0172 / 689 31 45
> Fax: 069 / 90 50 99 53
Thanks Konrad, actually it was something really stupid. The remote
server I was using to check it had it cached and once I rebooted it
worked fine, Thanks Luke! I don't want to tll you how many hours I spent
trying to figure this out when it probably has been working for awhile.

I am my own worst enemy.

Jon