Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 2004 13:05:27 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        "Joe Stuart" <jstuart@edenpr.k12.mn.us>
Cc:        "<" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tape drive

On Sep 3, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Joe Stuart wrote:

> I'm trying to backup to tape, but everything I try I get device not
> configured.
>
> tar -c /home/joe
> tar: /dev/sa0: Cannot open: Device not configured
>
> mt -f /dev/sa0 rewind
> mt: /dev/sa0: Device not configured
>
> The device is on and loaded with tapes. Below is the output that is in
> the messages log when the server boots, so I'm assuming the server sees
> the tape drive alright. Any help is appreciated.

"tapes" plural? Its a jukebox/changer? If so then the problem is that
you haven't completed the process to cause a tape to load in the drive.
Can't help other than recommending the man page for ch(4).

I have a similar Archive SCSI DAT drive which produces the same "Device
not configured" message when a tape is not loaded, or not yet ready
after being inserted.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Top-posters will not be shown the honor of a reply.