Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:28:00 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, roberto@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTP - default /etc/ntp.conf

There are several problems with the default ntp.conf that we've
committed to -current. First, we have not followed the vendor
recommendations for the pool servers at:

	http://www.pool.ntp.org/vendors.html

We are supposed to contact the people running the pool and ask for
a freebsd.pool.ntp.org subdomain.

Second, we shouldn't have the local clock configured by default.
The local clock should only be configured on a single server in a
NTP domain that might be disconnected from the rest of the tree.
Since the default config is a client config, it doesn't make sense
to have the local clock configured. Even if it was a server config,
it still wouldn't make sense, because it is only useful if a single
server has it configured.

I'd like to suggest that we get a vendor subdomain from the pool
guys and use that, and that we comment out the local clock. We
should get this fixed before 8.0 is releasted, so that we don't end
up shipping lots misconfigured FreeBSD boxes and upset the ntp guys!

	David.