Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:55:10 -0400
From:      "Communications Machine" <ITStaff@wmptl.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Compact Flash vs ATA Disks

I need a comparison in terms primarily of performance and reliability
between using compact flash to boot vs a standard ATA disk drive on a
machine used primarily as a router/firewall.

I would assume since there is no mechanical spinup/spindown issues with
compact flash, that it would therefore be quicker to startup off of; however
one must still wait for the PC bios anyways... so will it really make that
much of a difference? Guess it really comes down to transfer rates: which is
generally speaking faster (bear in mind only in terms of reading, as
writting to disk will be extremely infrequent).

In terms of reliability, what is the life expentancy of compact flash vs a
standard ATA disk drive? Again, I believe the mechanical issues involved
with a disk drive may be overcome with compact flash disks, but I don't
honestly know enough about compact flash.

The goal being to have a standard PC boot up off of compact flash, in the
hopes of an extremely quick, efficient, and reliable boot. Preferable even
to use a read-only compact flash device so-as to bypass the need for
checking the disk (fsck and such) at startup. Any
suggestions/comment/questions/shared experiences welcomed and appreciated;
but please CC my email address directly.

Thanks

--
Nathan Vidican
itstaff@wmptl.com