Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 03:42:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, jak@cetlink.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LINT is missing examples for sio1-3 ? GENERIC does so

> Newbies shouldn't know to look there.  It's never been in sync with
> GENERIC and has always had a different purpose.  It's original purpose
> wasn't documentation - it was for checking the kernel sources, and

Unfortunately, I have to note in regard to this last point that it
very definitely *has* become documentation and whether that was
anyone's original intentions or not.  It has simply evolved, like so
many things in FreeBSD.  I and many other people use "see LINT" as a
popular answer to kernel configuration questions because,
unfortunatly, it's really all there is - the Handbook which you
haven't read also hasn't got this sort of documentation in it anyway,
so you and the users haven't missed anything. :(

Given all of that, a more compromising attitute towards LINT in the
meantime would probably be warranted.  That is unless Bruce is
prepared to suddenly document in the Handbook what noone else has
dared to challenge before. :-)

					Jordan