Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:50:45 -0400
From:      Henry Olyer <henry.olyer@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE Installation success

The problem here is that it shouldn't take so much effort to get this
going.  But I know it does.  And I don't blame the FreeBSD team.

I do blame the organizational infra-structure that exists.  ie., we should
have scripts that describe every aspect of a computer, so that such scripts
can be mechanically read and a configuration built.

We do ./configure for software we install.  Same thing, but for all aspects
of the hardware.  The present "configure" logic covers the OS and the
installed software, we need to do this for hardware.

I notice that freeBSD download's and installs trails Linux.  That's okay.
FreeBSD is so much better, and in so many ways, too.

Nothing I've seen in Linux lands comes close to the "sysinstall" command or
the plainly superior organization of FreeBSD.  What I'm trying to encourage
is that we, as a group, work on our infra-structures, like strengthing the
already high level of organization we have in sysinstall.

How about a query program that examines a machine.  Is this practical?
Something like the automated X-install process that makes it unnecessary to
set the horizontal and vertical frequencies ourselves (which we used to have
to do.)  But not for X, for the sound card, for as much as possible.

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Michael D. Norwick <mnorwick@centurytel.net