Date:      02 Jun 2002 17:39:18 -0700
From:      Max Okumoto <okumoto@ucsd.edu>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: libh/include/hui HuiTVObjects.hh libh/lib/hui HuiTVision_ButtonsGroupWidget.cc HuiTVision_CheckBoxesWidget.cc HuiTVision_InputLineWidget.cc HuiTVision_LabelWidget.cc HuiTVision_ListBoxWidget.cc HuiTVision_ProgressIndicatorWidget.cc HuiTVision_RadioMenuWidget.cc

The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx> writes:
> On Sun Jun 02, 2002 at 02:15:31PM -0700, Max Okumoto wrote:
> > I am trying to find bugs in the widget layout code.  The only
> > time these functions are called is from the constructors.
> > No other objects call minSize() or maxSize(), nor can you call
> > them from tcl.
>
> These kind of informations are precious to the project, and should be
> recorded in the CVS history.
>
> > In all cases the results are directly feed into resize() in the
> > constructor.  But in most cases, the widget constructor already
> > sizes the object to the correct size... so its redundent to
> > resize it again.  The constructors that require resize need to be
> > fixed.
> >
> > FooWidget {
> > 	/** Constructor. */
> > 	FooWidget() { resize(minSize()); }
> > };
>
> But why does this *require* removing the whole minSize() functions?
> Couldn't these functions be used at some point?
>
> A.

Yes, it doen't require removing the function, but since nobody
calls it I think removing unused code is better for maintaining
the code readablity.

If someone added those functions to the exported API (make it
accessable to tcl) then some one might be able to use it.  But
internally they wouldn't be called.  Did you have plans to use
it from tcl?

If we decided to add some sort of dynamic layout code.  We might
use minSize() internally.

			Max Okumoto