Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:59:48 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD from RedHat questions, I'm non on list

At 18:17 1/08/2002, Michael Dexter sent this up the stick:
>One evangelist may be able to answer all of these. I am considering a move
>from RedHat Linux (5.2-7.2) to FreeBSD and I have some concerns. In short,
>I need some convincing and some understanding of the rationale behind
>FreeBSD's design.

Not an evangelist, but I use both Linux (Debian) and FreeBSD, and I'm happy
with both.  Quite frankly I couldn't care for the details of the respective
licences, I like the fact that they are both free (as in beer) and both
have an active user base.

>1. BASE theory: I admire the RedHat base. It is made entirely of smaller
>packages.
>Why is sendmail in the FreeBSD base but not CSVup? Does this suggest the
>Base set in stone, perhaps at the mercy of the 4.4 BSD Lite model or
>something? Is sendmail's inclusion reflect your opinion that it is better
>than say, postfix? "That's how it's always been?"

Base is pretty much set in stone because FreeBSD is an "operating system",
not a collection of apps running under a kernel (as Linux is)
Why sendmail? Most likely because "That's how it's always been?".  Mind
you, I don't use Sendmail - ever.  I use Postfix.  Real simple to change
mailservers with the mailwrapper feature.

>3. RAID. Is there any official support for software raid 0, 1 and 5? I see
>mention of NetBSD RaidFrame ports but none seem to be complete. Linux's
>raidtools do not appear to have been ported. Any options?

vinum is your friend here

>4. Freshness: As I watch to see which distribution produces a PHP 4.2.2
>package or port first, I am curious if you have any guidelines as to how
>timely port updates (often security fixes) can  be expected. Related: can
>a new install be built of fresh packages or ports? Need I install the base
>and then download sources and re-compile?

Ports are different from the base system in that only the comitters can
update base.  PHP (in your example) is not part of base, so any security
updates are mostly made by the upstream maintainer, rather than the FreeBSD
packager.

>5. Jails. Very attractive but you might want to mention them in the
>handbook. Any official docs.

man jail?

Cheers,
Robe

--
Humans: Bet you can't eat just one.

This is random quote 545 of a collection of 1254
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian