Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 11:27:05 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Empey <empey@plato2.ml.org>, Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Problem

On Saturday,  3 October 1998 at 17:40:57 -0400, David Empey wrote:
>> The host corresponding to an NS record needs to have an A record
>>
>> I don't know how ml.org sets up their DNS but named may not be happy
>> with their method.  Try using cr967899-a.lndn1.on.wave.home.com
>> instead of plato2.ml.org and see if that works.
>>
>> What does named complain about in /var/log/messages?
>
> I made the change you suggested, but to no avail.  Named starts without any
> error messages, but when I do an nslookup on integral.on.ca I get the
> following message:
>
> *** No address (A) records available for integral.on.ca

Here is my named.biit file:

cache           .                       root.cache
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa    pz/127.0.0
primary         integral.on.ca          pz/integral.on.ca

and the zone file for integral.on.ca:

@       IN      SOA     integral.on.ca root.integral.on.ca (
                199810031       ; Serial
                28800   ; Refresh
                7200    ; Retry
                604800  ; Expire
                86400)  ; Minimum TTL
        NS      plato2.ml.org.
        MX      10 integral.on.ca.

integral.on.ca  A       24.112.14.35
www             CNAME   integral.on.ca.
ftp             CNAME   integral.on.ca.

Does anyone see something I've missed?

You didn't miss it, you added too much.  The zone file contains names
relative to the zone name (integral.on.ca).  You have a definition for
integral.on.ca in this file, but doesn't end in a period, so it's
relative to the zone name: integral.on.ca.integral.on.ca.  You have
two solutions:

integral.on.ca.  A       24.112.14.35

or
		 A       24.112.14.35