Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:08:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@cygnus.rush.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@AUSS2.ALCATEL.COM.AU>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: zone: entry not free

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> > :> :
> > :> :This means that invariants need to add relatively little overhead.
> > :> :
> > :> :Peter
> > :>
> > :>     .... which they do.
> > :
> > :You know, guys, for programmers, wanting immediate panics on stuff like
> > :this is great, but there isn't one user in a thousand that wants this.
> > :If you make this kinda stuff default on a version *other than* current
> > :(current being by definition, for programmers/developers only) then
> > :you're going to hear bloody murder, and you guys will be doing vast
> > :damage to FreeBSD's reputation.
> > :
> > :Users don't want panics, and they don't care why, they just want things
> >
> >     No no no... you are missing the whole point.
> >
> >     *IF* we put these kinds of checks in by default, the result is a
> >     few more panics in the near term, but *NO* panics in the medium and
> >     long term.
>
> That's completely true, but nearly all users simply couldn't care less.
> They don't see the long view, they only see what's happening right now.
> It's the reason that your attitude is totally correct & healthy for a
> developer ... but the only thing that most users will see is the fact
> that FreeBSD panics more often.  They won't even bother to make of note
> of why a panic occurred, all they will ever note is that a panic *did*
> occur.

it most likely will crash anyway.

> A developer will be helped hugely by your attitude, which is why it
> would be *very* healthy for current to do what you want.  All the folks
> running current would serve as a better set of guinea pigs ... we're all
> developers, I don't think any of us would complain ... but never get the
> idea that a user is going to be happy to get a panic; no matter how much
> time you spend explaining why it's a good thing, they'll only remember
> that FreeBSD paniced on them.

it most likely will crash/reboot/freeze anyway.

> Alex Zepeda wrote:
>
> > Hmm.  Well think of it this way.  What happens when the kernel doesn't
> > panic but manages to accidentally wipe out your file system without
> > warning? or perhaps just loose some of the more important data on the
> > HDD?  What kind of reaction do you expect then?
>
> Seeing as we're talking about failures that, most of the time, the user
> never sees the results of, users won't say a single thing ... if they're
> box *doesn't* panic, they'll be happy.  If it panics more often, they'll
> notice that, and they won't bother asking why, they'll just switch to
> Linux (and quickly).  They aren't signing on to be FreeBSD beta-testers,
> you know ... at least, believe me, THEY know that.
>
> On top of all that, the ordinary user won't even bother to report the
> fact that your panic happened (or why), while they're removing FreeBSD.

Perhaps if a panic printed a small line on how to report the problem
that could be considered an improvement, if that could then also be
disabled with 'options NO_CONTACT_INFO_ON_PANIC'.

'Please Transcribe this down and email it to bugs@freebsd.org
 someone will get back to you as soon as possible, don't bother
 if you are overclocking'

:)

or perhaps a url to explain what not to report...

It actually sounds like a good idea, this isn't NT, FreeBSD shouldn't
'just go boom' I want to see where the hell it did, so i can look at
it and contact someone who can look at it.

Someone at work asked me what's so awesome about freebsd, I babbled
on for about half an hour then i showed him something he didn't belive at
first: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=8732

'dude, yeah i found a bug, they got back to within the hour and fixed it'
'really? how much was the tech support call?'
'oh, i just emailed them.'
'wow.'

:)

Happy users? Happy core team? yes, it's possible even when you get a panic.

thanks, you guys make computers usable.
-Alfred