Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 04:12:10 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp, imp@village.org, dcs@newsguy.com, green@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/contrib chapter.sgml

  Hi.

(I moved the place to freebsd-chat)

At Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:26:35 +0900,
Inoue-san <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp> wrote:
> > Warner
> >
> > [*] I picked "hisashi" from my email archive of names.  I hope that
> > I've not given yamamoto-san a female name.  I don't know enough about
> > Japanese names to know one way or the other.
>
> I think hisashi will be a name for a male, in very high
> probability. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Yoshinobu Inoue

  Yeah, undoubtedly.

  Although it's difficult to guess male or female by a Japanese name
written in alphabets, I'd show some simple rules... (Sort of the first
match wins principle applies)

Japanese names:

- of more than four syllables (or kana rather) are definitely male.
  (>99%)
  e.g. Jun'ichiro, Yoshinobu, Akinori

- that end with "ko" are definitely female. (>99%)
  e.g. ONO Yoko, Masako (Japanese crown princess)

- that end with /[aeiou]o/ are probably male. (>95%)
  e.g. Takao, Akio

- that end with "shi" are definitely male. (>99%)
  e.g. Takeshi, Hiroshi

- that end with /[aiou]e/ are definitely female. (>99%)
  e.g. MORI Hanae, Yukie

- that end with "na" are definitely female. (>99%)
  e.g. Kana, Nana

- that end with "mi" are probably female, but possibly male. (>80%)
  e.g. Emi, Mayumi

- that contain /[dgjz]/ are likely male. (>80%?)
  e.g. OBUCHI Keizo, Koji, Hideki

- of *BSD users are mysteriously, definitely male. (>99%)
  e.g. ;-)

More rules can be found, but note that every rule has its exceptions.
To be honest, I wish the last one will have lots of exceptions! :-)
(Are there any now?)

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."