Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:42:01 -0500
From:      "Roland Wells" <freebsd@thebeatbox.org>
To:        "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: vinum concatenated raid setup problems

 > > start_vinum="YES" is already in the /etc/rc.conf...see below:

> > thegibsor# cat /etc/rc.conf
> > # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Sun Oct 19 20:37:29 2003
> > # Created: Sun Oct 19 20:37:29 2003
> > # Enable network daemons for user convenience.
> > # Please make all changes to this file, not to
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> > # This file now contains just the overrides from
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
> > hostname="thegibsor.thebeatbox.org"
> > sshd_enable="YES"
> > usbd_enable="NO"
> > start_vinum="YES"      # set to YES to start vinum
>
> Doh! My faux pas. I'm reading up a bit, but this one may be
> best left to
> Greg. Have you verified that the vinum module has loaded
> after boot? One
> other thing I just noticed, you didn't use setupstate in the
> volume line of
> your config file...did you do an init on the second
> plex/subdisk before you
> newfs'd and mounted the volume?

not a faux pas for me!! as i am new to this and it could be anything, I
did init the second plex before  newfs'ing and mounting it, but I think
that the auto mounting is less of a problem than the config not being
read (or vinum not starting) with the reboot. If i can get that fixed, i
think i will be well on my way to getting this solved...

it doesn't look like the vinum kld is being loaded, since even with the
vinum config gone, it should say something like "no vinum drives found,
vinum not loaded" in dmesg (i think, please correct me if im wrong) i
will investigate this furthar and report back.

thanks for the help

roland