Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 14:17:17 -0400
From:      Troy Settle <troy@psknet.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   slow file access

All,

I have a 4-STABLE box that's been in service for 5+ years.  Yes, I know
it's old, but it's been rock-solid, and migration to a new server would
take days to accomplish, but I fear that's what I'm faced with..

Specs on the server: Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz / 4GB / ~35GB RAID-1 (system) /
~105GB RAID-5 (mail storage)

For the last week or so, I've been getting spurts of MySQL connection
failures in my mail logs, but the total number of connections never even
comes close the max connections allowed for the server.

Occasionally, our website will appear to completely stall for a few
seconds, and most frustrating of all, when I'm poking around in a shell,
things will sometimes hang for several seconds while performing certain
tasks (like cd, ls, tail, etc...).  Even top took like 8 seconds to
start displaying a process list.  According to raidutil, both raid
volumes are optimal.  Nothing shows up in syslog.  Here's some info from
top(1):

last pid:  8799;  load averages:  0.20,  0.43,  0.38  up 35+23:48:22
14:11:46
263 processes: 2 running, 261 sleeping
Mem: 1027M Active, 2100M Inact, 393M Wired, 178M Cache, 199M Buf, 75M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 72K Used, 4096M Free

I'm at a loss as to what I should look at next... anyone have any
suggestions before I commit myself to a VERY long weekend moving
everything to a new box?

Thanks,

--
  Troy Settle