Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:06:27 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM probe problems

> (the wcd0 line is always present.) On another machine, the boot process
> doesn't even get as far as FreeBSD, the BIOS just gives a hard disk
> failure message. Yes, this *does* suggest the CD drive is dodgy, but
> since it sometimes works OK on the machine it was bought for, it would
> seem all is not lost.

No.  It just means the drive is marginal.  We hardly have enough time
to support hardware that works properly, and like any good vendor we
are going to point at the fact that the drive doesn't work at all on
the other machine and say "the drive is junk, get another one".

You're welcome, alternatively, to sit down with the SFF8020 spec (and
addenda) and work out just _how_ the drive is broken.  This may be an
illuminating process.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org