Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:43:08 -0800
From:      "IslandMan" <schieb@centurytel.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD DSL setup questions

DSL setup question:

I'm a new FreeBSD user so please forgive if this question is old. I have
tried looking for answers
elsewhere but have not had much luck. Yesterday received my DSL modem and
walked through
the suggestions for the dynamic IP setup at
(www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/dsl.html).  All
seemed OK in the steps, yet my "ping"s still return "No route to host".

I see with my CenturyTel DSL setup under Windows that they are using the
PPPoE protocol.  Does that
mean I must configure FreeBSD in this manner? Since I don't get an IP or
gateway can I still
do it under PPP?

Are there any other diagnostics I could run, besides ping, to see discover
the problem? Links to solutions
would be most appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

-Brian