Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:53:58 -0700
From:      Demian <lists@dlfws.net>
To:        infernus - Bluelight <infernus@infernusweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie help!

infernus - Bluelight wrote:

> Sorry for bothering this mailing list, but I realy need some help..
> I find awsome screenshots from FreeBSD on various sites on the net,
> but on my comp,
> the only thing I see is a black screen with some white text on it, and:
> ________________
> $|
>
> ---------------------
> I just tested some commands on random, and found that "info" show some
> kind of list with information on each "something"..
>
> How do I enter some kind of interface, or desktop, like on the
> screenshots?
> Is there a web-site or enything with tutorials explaining how to do
> all this..
>
> I was thinking about setting up a FTP and Apache server +mail maybe..
> But now when I see this black screen and don't have a clue on what to
> do, or how to do enything..
> I feel the hope is dripping into the sink!
>
> Please help me somehow, with tutorials and important information for
> starters..
>

> Thanks a lot..  Ivan S. - Norway

Hello Ivan,

What you need is the X Window environment running a window manager (KDE,
Gnome, etc..). Take a look at the FreeBSD Handbox, Chatper 5. Come back
with any questions.

Handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
Handbook (Chatper 5):
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html