Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 20:11:45 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.8 disk space requirements ....

David Bein wrote:

>     /            root

Very little, perhaps 30MB.

>     /usr         standard usr stuff from distribution cd
>     /var         <not sure what goes in here, but I assume things which
> change>

/var contains logs, mail/news spool, program's pid files under /var/run,
temp files under /var/tmp, etc.

>     /usr/local   <stuff not on the distribution cd>

I've got just got /usr/local on the same filesystem as /usr/local, which
is about 3GB.

>     /home        <user home directories>

Size of that depends on how many users you have :-) Mine for only a few
users is 500MB.

>     /tmp

Not sure about this one, mine's 140MB which should be enough, probably
_much_ more than enough.

>     <swap>

If you want to let your kernel dump core, this will need to be at least
as big as the amount of physical memory you have. Mine's 158MB with 48MB
of RAM.

It all depends on how much extra stuff you intend to install really.

> Another question is how much space would I need for a separate source
> partion to contain what is in /usr/src off the cd. I want to put this
> someplace else, so I can more or less make /usr read-only, even though
> I will likely be scribbling in /usr/src fairly often.

$ du /usr/src
[ snip ]
194629	/usr/src

That's bound to increase though as extra things are added to FreeBSD,
but I don't know by how much.

> I have no idea how much space a typical /var partition needs to have.
> I am thinking of just having /tmp -> /var/tmp (similarly for /usr/tmp?).

/var/crash is where kernel core dumps will be stored, so this will need
to be at least as big as your RAM, as for swap. (Or you could just make
a link /var/crash -> /usr/crash or wherever all your space is.) If you
run INN or some other news server, you'll need a /var filesystem big
enough to hold all the groups you take, which probably won't be much for
a few users.

My /var is about 1.5GB, which again is probably far too big, since < 10%
is used.

> I have on one disk about 1/2 gig of space left and am considering
> buying another disk anyway, but I need some input before I get a
> second disk.

I couldn't cope with only 1/2 gig, but you may be able to. Disks are so
cheap these days anyway, one of my friends is buying a 6.4GB disk for
only 100 quid apparently.

> p.s. Is /sys/conf still used to keep the binaries for kernel linking?
>      And if so, how big is it. My memory is that this stuff used to
>      be in the root parition, but this of course may have changed.

/sys is a symlink to /usr/src/sys, and I don't see any binaries in
there. Since you ask how big it is though,

$ du /sys/conf
52	/sys/conf

--
Ben Smithurst