Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:06:31 +0800
From:      Jiawei Ye <leafy7382@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD - Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: perl-after-upgrade does not process anything

On 28 Jun 2005 15:57:50 +0200, Christian Laursen <xi@borderworlds.dk> wrote=
:
> According to the perl-after-upgrade manpage:
>=20
> After installation of the new perl is complete, either by hand from the
> ports collection, or from a package, or via portupgrade, do the follow-
> ing:
>=20
> Personally I have upgraded perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.7 with portupgrade and
> used perl-after-upgrade afterwards with no problems at all.
>=20
> --
> Christian Laursen
To quote the manpage:

DESCRIPTION
       The standard procedure after a perl port (either lang/perl5 or
       lang/perl5.8) upgrade is to basically reinstall all other packages t=
hat
       depend on perl.  This is always a painful exercise.  The perl-after-
       upgrade utility makes this process mostly unnecessary.

       The tool goes through the list of installed packages, looks for thos=
       that depend on perl, moves files around, modifies shebang lines in
       those scripts in which it is necessary to do so, tries its best to
       adjust dynamically linked binaries that link with libperl.so in the =
old
       path, and updates the package database.

At least on my 2 -current machines, none of these happened. 1) It
didn't tell me what it handled and what it couldn't handle 2) I still
need the script from UPDATING to fix all my perl-depending ports that
took several hours.

I truely need a refund this time :)

BTW, my perl was installed as perl-threaded-5.8.7, could the package
name be different from what the script expected? Or am I missing
something obvious?

Regards,

Jiawei

--=20
"Without the userland, the kernel is useless."
               --inspired by The Tao of Programming