Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 05:35:25 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Disabling inetd?

Hi all,

I was just a few minutes ago talking with some of my colleagues about
disabling inetd completely in a default install.

What are people's opinions about doing this?  IMHO there is nothing in
inetd that is absolutely essential when someone installs FreeBSD on a
virgin system.  Let's take a few things as examples.  Telnet is an
insecure protocol and has been replaced for the most part by SSH.  Then
there's FTP.  How many people are going to run FTP servers on their
machines by default?  Now talk daemon, auth server (for ident, typically
used with IRC), and finger.  Not everyone really needs these.

Our inetd.conf should reflect what would be NEEDED by a typical
installation by default.

Some might say "why fix something that ain't broke?".  Well, I think
that it's fairly well-known that holes can be exploited through inetd.
Proactive security is better than leaving possible holes open by
default, IMO.  Administrators who know what they're doing can open up
each hole as they need to.

Could someone give me a reason why anything invoked by our current
inetd.conf is needed across all installed systems by default?  If not,
then inetd itself should be disabled by default.

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>