Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 17:26:24 -0400
From:      Ben Compton <peabody@naxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install Problems

Hello

	I'm having problems installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my Dell computer.  It
seems that there is some problem accessing my secondary IDE chain.  My CD
ROM is the master unit on my secondary chain and I cannot get the installer
to recongize it.  It is an ATAPI IDE CD ROM so I know that is not the
proble.  What I feel is the problem is that the kernel the install CD uses
cannot communicate with my secondary IDE chain.  As a matter of fact I have
to disable the support for that chain in the customize kernel menu
presented on boot-up in order for install to get past the probing devices
phase (you know where the blue screen comes up and says "Probing for
devices...Please wait")  I can boot from my installation CD but if I leave
support for the Secondary IDE chain in place the install hangs and if I
remove it my CD ROM is no longer accessable.  I have checked the IRQ and
the hardware address of the Secondary Controller and it matches up with
what the generic kernel expects.  I've also made sure that there is no
resource conflict with the controller.  I've tried everything I can think
of so I would appreciate any and all help.

Here is some info on my computer:

Brand:  Dell
Processor 300MHz Pentium II
RAM: 128 MB
Hard Drives: Master - Maxtox 8.4G
	      Slave - Western Digital 2.1 G (this is the drive I wish to install
FreeBSD on)
CD-ROM:  Toshiba XM-620B ATAPI

I would also like some info about booting FreeBSD from a slave HD with the
Windows NT 4.0 OS Loader.  I have NT installed on my master HD and I want
to put BSD on my slave HD and would like to be able to use both without
having to use a boot disk to run BSD.  Oh and I would also like to know if
anyone has attempted to set up X Windows using a Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro
Video Card with the Permedia II Chipset.  I'm really new to the world of
UNIX and I need all the help I can get.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Ben Compton

peabody@naxs.com