Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:22:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lars Eighner <eighner@io.com>
To:        Stefan Malte Schumacher <s.schumacher@netcologne.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Map Windows Key under syscons

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would like to be able to use the Windows Key as "Meta" while using syscons
> - it much easier to reach then escape. I have found out with xev that the
> scancode of this key is 115. After this I opened the German-Iso-Keymap with
> an editor and found out that there are 108 lines with numbers and functions.
> I thereby assumed that by copying the Meta-Line and adding it as Nr.115 at
> the end I should be able to use the Windows-Key as Meta, but this did not
> work. (It just beeps when I press Windows - after reloading the keymap of
> course). So how can I map Windows to Meta ?

The "windows" keys are 105 and 106 and the "Menu" key is 107.  These
lines, or something like them may do what you want.

  105   meta   fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62  O
  106   meta   fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63  O
  107   esc    fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
  108   nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop    nop     O

Note:  this will not carry over to X.  Also, the numbers of the keys
are different in X, so no X program can give you the right answers
about console keymaps.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner@io.com -finger for geek code-