Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2006 15:31:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Fred Koschara <fkeinternet@FKEInternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0, ThinkPad 600, dc0: watchdog timeout - ACPI?

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, Fred Koschara wrote:

> I just purchased another ThinkPad 600 and installed FreeBSD 6.0, expecting it
> would go as smoothly as had my previous installations of FreeBSD on my Web,
> database and nameservers, on the desktop machine on which I'm experimenting
> with FreeBSD programming, and on the Dell Latitude where FreeBSD is one of
> the 5 operating systems I have installed.

The TP600s require some special hacks to get going. I have a 600E that I
put 6.1 on a couple of weeks ago and needed to do the following:

1. Update to the latest BIOS and embedded controller firmware.
2. Boot into DOS with the PS2.EXE tool and disable all of the devices you
aren't using. Make sure at least 3 IRQs are assigned to PCI (I have 9, 10,
and 11 assigned).
3. Add 'hw.cbb.memory=0xd8000' to /boot/loader.conf.

Boot with that and it should work even with ACPI.

If you search around you might find a suggestion to add a bunch of
hw.pci.link type loader.conf tunables. I haven't found this to be
necessary if there are sufficient resources available.

The only casualty appears to be sound, but I can live without that.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org