Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:19:53 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        PaxJanet@gateway.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD choices

PaxJanet@gateway.net wrote:

> Hello, I hope that I've sent this to the right place. I have done some
> reading on two versions of FreeBSD-- "FreeBSD Desktop 4.1" $99.95 |and|
> "FreeBSD Powerpack4.2" $49.95. I am currently using WinME and would like to
> move onto FreeBSD. My question is, can I use "FreeBSD Powerpack4.2" as a
> replacement for WinME or will I have to use FreeBSD Desktop4.1.

Depending on what you mean by "replacement" you may be on the wrong
route.
FreeBSD can not "replace" any version of Windows, because it can't run
Windows software. Especially if you use your computer to play games that
are written for Windows.
However, FreeBSD is a MUCH more powerful system than Windows, there are
over 5000 free software packages available for FreeBSD. If you want to
do web browsing, email, and word-processing (which is what people
generally need a computer for) FreeBSD will work much better than WinME.
(since FreeBSD can't run windows programs, viruses written for Windows
don't affect it, for example) If you have any programs written
specifically for Windows that you need to run, stick with WinME.
The best option is to install both WinME and FreeBSD on the same
computer. I recommend this if you've never used FreeBSD before. Either
product includes _The Complete FreeBSD_, which will explain the
installation.
Make sure you get a product that has FreeBSD version 4.3, which is the
latest release. If your local store doesn't have it, order from
http://www.freebsdmall.com
If you have problems when you get started, this list is the place to
ask.

-Bill